Thursday, January 27, 2005

Flush

Some years ago, I accidentally flushed my wedding band down the toilet. It really was an honest mistake. I routinely wore my rings to sleep and would take them off in the morning to wash my face. This particular day, I went to the bathroom, flushed, and immediately placed my rings on the vanity. The band bounced off with a tiny "plink" and went into the toilet at the exact moment it was completing it's flush. What are the chances?

I was horrified, and Mike was appalled. I decided to call our cesspool company for help. I explained my predicament, and once they stopped laughing they offered to send someone right over. We were told not to use any of the faucets or toilets while we were waiting for them to arrive. Apparently, there is some sort of "catch" in our basement that can trap certain things before they hit the cesspool. If that didn't work they could also snake a camera through our pipes to identify it. Super! When the guy arrived, he and Mike went into our basement. The workman was sifting through some poo and what not, when he turned to Mike and said, "I bet you thought your job sucked". That gave Mike quite a chuckle. After a while, they found it. The man gave my ring to Mike, and told him to make sure that I soak it in ammonia before I put it back on my finger. Duh! I may be the idiot that flushed it in the first place, but I certainly know better then to put a sewage-covered ring on without thoroughly disinfecting it. Please give me a little credit!

After $300, a good cleaning and a lot of guilt from Mike, my ring was safely back on my finger. I never wear them to sleep anymore, and only put them on after I'm all washed up. Unfortunately, the cesspool company noted the incident in our records and love to bring it up every time I call for service. They still don't believe the whole thing was an accident and I guess I can't really blame them.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home