Sunday, January 16, 2005

Lost Dog

When I was a wee lass in college, my friend Lori and I decided to meet for breakfast at the pancake house on Sunrise Highway. (Wee lass - now I'm pretending to be Irish and not Jewish! You can do anything in a blog). We noticed a dog wandering around the parking lot and decided we must save it from impending death due to all of the traffic on the highway. We were dog-lovers and do-gooders so this was right up our alley.

The dog had a tag on it's collar that listed an ID# and a phone number to call to get further information about the dog's home. I held onto the dog in the parking lot and yelled the number to my friend on the pay phone (obviously, this story pre-dates cell phones). She was able to obtain the owner's home number and proceeded to call. A little girl answered and Lori said, "I'm at the pancake house and found your dog wandering around here. I would like to bring it back to you before it gets hurt". The little girl said that her dog Fluffy was on her lap and she was petting it right now. Obviously a wrong number, I re-yelled the ID# to her and she tried again. This time she got a different phone number. She called it, and after hearing Lori's story the woman told her she didn't have a dog. My friend didn't believe her and told her that of course she did and we were bringing it over to her right now before it got hurt. The woman used profanity and then hung up. Meanwhile, I noticed the dog kept trying to walk away from me in the direction of the gas station next door. I kept yanking it's collar to keep her safely by my side. Finally, Lori decided that I couldn't read, so she read the ID# to me and I called for information. This time I got a totally different address and phone number. Much to our surprise, the dog lived at 200 Sunrise Highway which was the address of the gas station next door.

It turned out we succeeded in holding the dog prisoner for 30 minutes while all it was trying to do was go home! Go figure. Needless to say, we had a huge laugh over a big stack of pancakes that day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well anut karen i can see you doing this.~Hazel

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Hazel, calling Karen "Anut Karen" instead of Aunt Karen. Smart girl. Estelle

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home