Saturday, January 15, 2005

Happy Birthday Dad!

It's my Dad's birthday today. He's 77 years old which you would never believe if you met him. Besides his family, the center of his universe is fitness and exercise. He has a doctorate in health and physical education and spent over 30 years as a college professor in this field. He has even climbed all 46 peaks of the Adirondacks earlier in his life, just for the hell of it. When he is in a room with my friends, everyone always agrees that if you cut his head off you would think he was in his thirties because he's in such amazing shape (better then all our husbands combined, actually).

He's also one of the kindest men I know, and this is besides the fact that he calls me the Erma Bombeck of the new millenium. I remember when I was younger he would always say, "Look for the good in everyone, it's worth it even if you have to dig to find it ". My mom and I always thought he was crazy, since neither of us had the patience or inclination to be bothered. After all, in our minds not everyone is worth the effort. However, this philosophy has helped him to achieve success and respect as a professor, author, business owner and Grand Pubah of his community in Florida. Though I hate to admit it and still refuse to practice it, he may have been right. In my early teens, he suggested I read "How to Win Friends and Influence People", by Dale Carnegie(I wonder why?). It's sort of our joke that I never bothered reading it until I was 30 years old. Upon completion, I thought the book was beyond brilliant and even gave it out to various people (that never took the hint). All along I knew damn well that I wouldn't personally utilize the concepts. It's too much work and I take way too much pleasure in being a big mouth.

Oh well, Dad. You did the best you could. While your efforts may have been wasted on me, you helped me define what I should look for in a husband. I know you'd agree I did pretty well choosing Mike. In fact, maybe you should give him a copy of Dale Carnegie's book. After all, there's always room for improvement. Unless you're my Dad, of course. xxx000xxx!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home