Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Sparkly

Having children is wonderful. It can also be a tremendous grind. The same thing day after day. Get them dressed, washed, teeth brushed, fed and ready for school. Homework when they get home, and then playtime and TV. I'm not complaining, but the sameness can start to wear thin at times.

Case in point - Max cannot sit in a chair. Whether he's eating or doing homework, his heinie never quite touches it. This makes for a gigantic mess whenever food is involved. No amount of kindly corrections, yelling, threats or nasty looks seem to get his butt to touch a seat. This morning was no different. He had whole wheat cinnamon toast for breakfast. I make it with a little butter, sugar and cinnamon. When he was finished, he came over to me and said, "Look how sparkly I am!" He was covered in crumbs. I was less than thrilled and became angry as I was dusting the sugar and cinnamon off of his arms, face, forehead, neck and shirt. It was in places that food of any kind does not belong. His plate had very few crumbs because they had been spread over the entire table instead. I freaked out, and we both stormed off upset with each other. Another parenting coup for me.

As a parent, you have days when you feel like the worst ever and days when you think you should be named parent of the year. I'm getting the feeling that I may not be winning any awards today. The grind is definitely grating on me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home