Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The Winter Blechs

During this time of year many people suffer from the "winter blahs". A relatively bland form of unhappy, winter-listlessness brought on by this seemingly endless season. Today, I suffer from a much more severe form of this syndrome, that I have aptly named the "winter blechs". Symptoms include but are not limited to; a deep and utter hatred for all weenie, school officials that cancel school days because of meager amounts of snow, which in turn, directly results in my children draining any shread of life force that the "winter blahs" haven't already taken from me. (I'm pretty sure that's a major run-on sentence that can be considered only one symptom, but screw it).

My morning began with the sad revelation that school had been cancelled. Ben and Max were ecstatic and agreed to let me go back to sleep for a while (it was 6 AM). At 7:15 Max woke me up screaming that it wasn't fair that Dad was out shovelling and he wasn't. Unable to grasp the concepts of time and work, he proceeded to freak out and call me mean. I snapped, and grabbed him and his snowpants and tried to throw them both out of the house. Unfortunately, I didn't get very far between Max's hysteria and his carbohydrate dependency. After numerous apologies from him, I ended up sledding at 9:30 am and then he and Ben played in the snow with the "Menace" (my nickname for our ADD neighbor's kid) for 5 hours more. Understandably, I am a shadow of my former self.

I think what bugs me the most is other school districts opened after a 2 hour delay. I would have happily dealt with that. Instead I'm a broken and pathetic woman, who will spend her free time tracking down and harming the school decision-makers. When I catch them I will make them spend an entire snowy day with my kids, and see how they like it. I'll know that justice has prevailed when they have ripped out all of the hair from their pitiful, little heads. There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a dream.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Fuz said...

I miss REAL snow days - those days as a child where school is cancelled and all you had to do was play outside or keep warm inside. Now, I also loathe snow days. I don't have any children of my own to be harassed by, but I do have to go to work, the ONLY way I can make any money. If it's snowing, and work is closed, I'm poor. Or if I have grocery shopping to do, or a special place to be - I don't think it's snowed in the past 5 years and I've said "Yay, I can just stay at home and relax." I miss those days!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Shushopn said...

I hear you Fuz. I tend to spend my time thinking of all the things I needed to accomplish but can't because I have the kids home. My kids did let me use their sled once or twice though :-)

5:49 PM  
Blogger The Fuz said...

It might just be worth it to be able to sled!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aunt karen i have a snow day too! so my mom said she was leaving and she whent to one of her religon things for all day

11:34 AM  
Blogger Shushopn said...

Hi sweetie! I wrote this post a while ago but we have a wintry day today also. We are leaving for Florida tonite so I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the flight. Love you!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Shushopn said...

Hi sweetie! I wrote this post a while ago but we have a wintry day today also. We are leaving for Florida tonite so I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the flight. Love you!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Shushopn said...

Hi sweetie! I wrote this post a while ago but we have a wintry day today also. We are leaving for Florida tonite so I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the flight. Love you!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Shushopn said...

Hi sweetie! I wrote this post a while ago but we have a wintry day today also. We are leaving for Florida tonite so I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the flight. Love you!

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home